Thursday, January 18, 2007

Cameron Hut Hike.....but no hut!

Hi,
Well..the rain eased and we drove off to begin our 5 hour hike to Cameron Hut. In case some of you didn't realize that is the great thing about NZ. There a literally thousands of huts doted around the country for hikers to use for a small fee. Some of the flasher ones have gas heating, electricity..ect. None of the ones that Ben takes me too though...except for Aspiring Hut..but we were there in the start of winter when no one goes there...40bunk hut all to our selves!
Anyhow...we made it to the trail head passed a few Canadians having a look at the lookout(as you do.)and we were off. Well...thr trail....or lack of trail was a typical NZ tramp....it was wet muddy,...very exposed sections, cliffs on either side.Tree roots, creeks with no trails or really safe spots to cross. Yes...I don't know why I was hoping for some sort of easier trail! They just don't seem to exist over here. So we were surviving...until we came to the "great river crossing". Now...some of you will recall my near drowning a year or so ago. Well...this river was quite high...and moving very fast. Yes..there was no way I was crossing it. Ben agreed he wasn't 100% about it and we turned around. Argh...so instead we got eaten alive by sandflies and didn't make it to the hut...and had to head back.
On a more serious note...that same weekend an australia tourist drowned in the Matukituki river....in Mt Aspiring Nat. Park....probally near where I nearly drowned. We made the right call.
Hope to publisha few photos soon. Stay tuned.
Nik

2 comments:

Our Family said...

Hi Nikki...

So what happened a year ago???

Christie

Nikki said...

We were just finishing another hike where I had almost badly sprained my ankle and we had a two hr walk to a swing bridge or we could cross the river where we had come across the day before. It had been torrentially raining all night(as usual...on our hikes) We decided to cross the river and having little experience with river crossings I nearly drowned. It was only by the grace of god or by ben holding my hand that I would have been swept down the river. Crazy!