Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The luck of the Irish

Well..another weekend, another tramping adventure, another crappy few days of weather! On Sunday, we ventured into the Ahuriri Conservation Park which is just over the Lindis Pass(which u may remember from the last few posting pic'.) The Ahuriri is this great new park with lots of different options, lots of huts, easy- hard tramps and only a few hours from Wanaka. Everyone has been telling us about it for ages but we had yet to make it in. The access road is about 25km's and over half of it 4WD. Not too sure how I felt about taking the Impreza on it...and it certainly wouldn't be happening with any amount of rain!
The walk was great! Flat, nice wide open vally!Wait was this in NZ?? I guess, perhaps it may have been lacking in variety there was no real hieght gain due to the fact that we were already at 800m. It was nice though...relaxing, mostly sunny, well not really pretty windy and the rain drops were falling slowly. The great news is that we made it to a hut! Shamrock Hut as it was, built in 1958(it showed!) It was cute though, a two bunk hut, fireplace and a mouse!!(I of course was the only one who saw the mouse.) I seem to remember this happening at the old house. It was nice, we lit a fire, tried out my new lantern, got to use my new tramping pack(all xmas prezzie's!) We got no sleep though, between the fierce wind storm outside and the constant "what was that???" Oh...and it probally wasn't the best idea to bring the -10 sleeping bag...it was stinkin hot and there were sandflies outside so we couldn't have the window open. Sandflies.....tell u about them next time. Sorry, no pic's I forgot to put the memory card in the video camera. Just old fashion one's.
Nikki

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I am off to Launceston on Monday for a little rnr away from the small town of Coles bay. Should be fun. Good to hear you guys are getting out and doing some camping and tramping and stuff.

Mike