Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Holiday Highlights, puppies, bushrats & playing tourists!



Well, sorry for the long awaited update of the blog. We had a fantastic holiday over in Australia for Christmas and New Years! We got back in New Zealand on Jan 4th and this is the first chance I have had to update the blog.

My manager at the YHA resigned from her job while I was gone and I have been dealing with all of her mess, staff quitting, and working 10-12hrs running the YHA with only a couple of cleaners! I had to clean out her managers flat and get it ready for new Manager. So..four garbage bags later, with all the builders, plumbers,removalists, painters and commercial cleaners all been and gone our new manager arrived today. He is being trained this week and I am now offiicially taking days off after 12 consecutive days working..argh! Looks like the new manager is good. And the nice thing is that I have had nice raise for the last 15days or so as the "acting Manager."

Back to our holiday.....we had nearly three weeks over in Port Macquarie(bens home town.) This time we had a really nice balance of family time and time for Ben and I. The great thing was that it was Christmas and all of his family had time off from work so there was no rushing around to visit eveyone...nice.

Right after we arrived we had a nice short road trip through New England(through Tamworth, and the waterfall way, and back out to the coast to visit Nick from NZ.) You might have to get out your atlas. It was really enjoyable..and as you can imagine there were some great waterfalls. Sorry...no real pic's from our trip our camera "officially" died. The good news Ben's dad gave him a new camera and we finally bought a digital camera in Sydney...we are now digital!! We just have to figure out how it works.

As for Christmas we had a really nice day at Bens parents house with the entire family( bens parents, four siblings, partners and all 8? grandkids and counting.) Oh and the new puppy, Chilli Dog!! I must say he was my favourite...God I need a pet!!

Some other highlights would be our stay up at the farm. Lets just say there is a really good story involving me screaming, a bushrat in the house and a fire poker. Final score- Ben 1 - Bushrat- 0!!!!
If you aren't sure how big and disgusting a bushrat is.well its huge, brown and agressive....it attacked Ben!

Our trip finished up with a few days in Sydney. Ben's sister Becky put us up in a flash hotel and we played tourists for a few days! It was great!

Anyhow..back to NZ now. Ben has started doing a few days up at the Dirt Park as a bike patroller. Here are a few pic's of his couple of days.

No comments: