Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Big White Lie

I know about time for an update already!We just got back from a little break in Kelowna for three days. Truth is we needed to get out of Big White to clear are heads.
We have been at Big White for a little over three weeks now and it has been full of ups and downs. We are still waiting for more snow so the mountain can open and we can start work again. Ben finished his two weeks of training....mainly all inside training which was doing his head in abit. In fact the only tour of the Mountain he has got is on our hikes or when he skinned up to the summit the other day which has been frustrating for him.
Here is Ben getting his Patrol vest ready for work...when ever that happens.

We have a full house now, two flatmates, Kathryn who I mentioned already and Kim a really nice young Canadian girl. Thank god for Kim...she seems to balance out the house a bit. Kathryn lived here last year in the same apartment(which is why we kind of feel like we are living in her place sometimes...and she worked last year for Big White Patrol. Which she mentions every chance she can get! " Well, actually this is what happens here......cos you know I was in Canada for a WHOLE ski SEASON>>" Nevermind that I am actually Canadian!!!
Funny thing actually.....I had to bring my passport to work to prove I was Canadian!!" And where are you from?" I had a girl the other day explain to me that Coffee Cream was like Milk but so much better!! What the????
Taking the gondola down for Staff orientation day.

Ben is having a really hard time so far, the ski patrol is very cliquey. If you didn't work for Big White Ski Patrol before then you are basically a rookie. Truth is Ben is more qualified than alot of the patrollers which is very frustrating. My work hasn't been going so well either. So far, I feel more like a housekeeper than a supervisor. I.e I am doing alot of cleaning which isn't what I signed up for. I also found out the other day that I most likely can't switch to another department if a better job comes. I mean come on......is this place trying to be difficult?
So, are only comfort most days is to head upstairs to hot tub and shake our heads.
The latest is that Ben and I don't have the same days off. I asked my boss first if it would be a problem and there was no problem. Then when I found out the Ben had Sun and Mon off I let her know. Apparently thats not possible. Ben went back to his boss and was told that because he's a rookie he can't pick his days off. The ironic thing is that Kathryn has the days off that we need..she was able to pick them and even sat with us one night when we were explaining what happened....and she was very sympathetic! Somehow forgot to mention that she had the days off the we needed. So...now basically we are waiting to see if she will switch...she has no partner or reason other than she wants those days off. So we wait...it has been four days now and she hasn't decided yet. ARGH!!!!!
Ben is re-applying to other mountains are we considering leaving....if another job comes up...........

Another job might have just come up. We are outta here and heading to Jasper on Thurs. Just between me and you these mountains weren't big enough for Ben.
Next update....hopefully we'll be skiing this weekend and working on Mon!
All things happen for a reason....

No comments: